Quiet Enough to Listen


Read Genesis 13:14-17; 15:5-7; 17:4-8; 18:10 

I am in a waiting period in my life. At the beginning of it, I tried everything I could think of. I had a self-imposed timeline of one month to “fix it” or I was sure I would no longer have any control over the outcome. My actions were frantic. My words were often angry. My prayers were desperate and pleading.
When the month had passed, I was no closer to my desired outcome than I had been at the beginning, but my prayers had been heard. God spoke to me like a little girl winding down from a tantrum, “OK, are you calm enough to listen now? I have some things I want to say but you’ve been making such a fuss, you couldn’t hear them.”
When I gave up the human effort, I felt clear direction from God as to what I was supposed to do with this time. As months passed, though, I have gone through periods of discouragement, wondering how long the wait will be and what outcome God has in mind. Each time I have gotten to this point, God has given me some reminder of His active role in the situation. I receive notes of encouragement at just the right time. I have conversations with people that reiterate a truth I needed to hear. I get a glimpse of progress in the situation that gives me hope.
The timing seems incredibly slow to me, but I trust in God’s plan. I have learned to trust that every moment that passes and everything that occurs in the meantime are necessary for God’s best outcome. I continue to pray that He will use the good and the bad, and my life in the waiting, for His glory.

We can hear God's voice when we quiet ourselves enough to listen.



·           For you, what causes discouragement in the waiting?        

 When have you been tempted to take things into your own hands? What was the result? Take time to recommit yourself to belief in God and in His timing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Committed to Prayer

Meager Bread and Water

Waiting Stinks