Wait in Obedience

“I don’t know what to do!”

My sister and I would start to make this comment (usually with a whiny voice) during summer vacation from school as soon as the initial novelty of “free time” wore off. My mother would often list off some ideas – some fun, and some work – and we would consider whether each idea was the one we would choose. Eventually, if she didn’t say something we wanted to do, we would decide to go figure it out ourselves - much to Mom’s pleasure, I’m sure.

We can easily get caught up in figuring out God’s specific instructions to us in a particular situation. We ask, “What should I do, Lord?” But when we don’t hear a specific answer, this can paralyze us. I don’t know what to do so I won’t do anything yet.  Satan can put thoughts in our head like these:

·         God doesn’t care about me or He would answer.

·         There must be something wrong with me that I can’t hear from God.

·         I guess I’ll have to take matters into my own hands.

But God has already given us something to do – obey Him. The Bible teaches a great many things that apply to all situations, so instead of waiting for a specific set of instructions, follow the ones you already have and watch for more. Concentrate on knowing God better, understanding what He wants from your life, growing with His help, and following His ways. Those are always good choices – we don’t have to wonder if that is the right thing to do. Along the way, you will begin to gain insight into your situation too, simply because you know God better and are seeking Him with regularity and devotion.

God has already given us something to do. Obey Him.

  • ·        Choose one or two of the stanzas of this long psalm and read it slowly, several times. Meditate on it. Take note of words and phrases that stand out. Ask God to show you how to apply the principles to your life today.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Committed to Prayer

Meager Bread and Water

Waiting Stinks