Thriving in 2021

 Read Jeremiah 17:5-8 and John 10:10

For the last five years, I have skipped the New Year's resolutions. Actually, it has been much longer than that, but it was in the last five years that I have chosen a new approach that has been working for me. Instead of a resolution, I choose a word that will be my focus for the year - something that I can apply to every aspect of my life throughout the year. These words help me grow, discern choices, and give me a mindset to hold onto. Two of my favorite words have been brave and improve.


I've been thinking and praying about my word for 2021. I have considered hope, adjust, and stretch. Although these all speak to an aspect of what I need for the coming year, none of these settled on my heart. Then this morning I was thinking about how we have been living during COVID-19. The mindset tends to be "just get through it" or "endure it until it is over." To survive.

The Casting Crowns lyrics came into my mind. "We were meant to more than just survive. We were meant to thrive."


Thrive, when there are so many things that get in the way of living how we would want? Yes.

Thrive, when there is so much bad news and conflict in the world? Yes. 

Thrive, when we have so little to look forward to, and can't gather with friends and family? Yes.

Thrive, in all circumstances because we are like a tree planted by a stream (Jeremiah 17:5-8), always having access to the Living Water to help us grow, flourish, prosper - thrive. "A thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy. I have come so that they may have life, and have it in abundance." (John 10:10)

According to Jeremiah, the one who trusts in the Lord:

  • is blessed.
  • is rooted.
  • doesn't fear when heat comes.
  • stays green and fruitful.
  • does not worry.

In 2021, I will plant my life by the stream of Living Water so that I will continue to grow, to prosper and to flourish, not given to fear or worry, but rooted in God's word, His strength, and His Promises.

I will THRIVE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Committed to Prayer

Meager Bread and Water

Waiting Stinks